Latest News

Home » Dirt Tracks » Stateline Speedway done racing until further notice

Stateline Speedway done racing until further notice

Stateline Speedway
Photo Courtesy of Wyatt Scott Racing David Scott and Suppa Racing came away with the $2,500-to-win Super Late Model feature, presented by Joel Smith of Close Racing Supply, on Saturday night at Stateline Speedway. Joining Scott, left, in Victory Lane, is car owner Terry Suppa.

Stateline Speedway

By: MATT SPIELMAN

Last week Stateline Speedway owner Jean Scott said she hoped to get at least one night of racing in for the fans and drivers.

It looks like that may be the case

After hosting opening night at the Kortwright Road third-mile dirt track last Saturday night, New York state came down hard Friday.

“The current guidance issued by New York State is clear — auto racing tracks are allowed to operate without fans or spectators,” said Jason Conwall, spokesman for Gov. Andrew Cuomo. “If an operator holds an event that violates the executive order and public health law, they are subject to serious penalties, including but not limited to fines of up to $10,000 and suspension or revocation of state license to operate.”

Stateline Speedway responded on its Facebook page Friday evening:

“Unfortunately we are forced to CANCEL tomorrow night’s event due to the current state regulations that are in place,” the post read. “Along with tomorrow night being cancelled, we are POSTPONING the remainder of the 2020 season until further notice.”

It was not an unexpected result for Scott, who alluded to the possibility last week. Friday, after learning of the directive from New York state, track officials confirmed the order with Chautauqua County officials.

Throughout this spring and early summer, Scott has said the track cannot host races without fans in attendance and concession stands available. Admission costs are used to pay the race purses.

If last Saturday was the first — and final — night of racing for the 2020 season, five drivers will go down as the only winners. Mike Eschrich and Holden Heineman picked up their first-ever Stateline victories while veterans Dave Scott, Max Blair and Dennis Lunger also visited Victory Lane.

Rain until mid-afternoon last Saturday threatened opening night at the track, but during a phone call last night Jean Scott said her husband, Jim, made sure the action went off without a hitch.

“He was bound and determined we were going to race,” she said.

And once they did race, Jean Scott said it was like pretty much every night at the Busti oval.

“Everybody was so nice. People were thankful,” she said. “They laughed, they talked. Everybody was happy and the kids loved the mud puddles.”

By: MATT SPIELMAN |Observer Today | JUL 18, 2020